Janet Begay's Crossroads Hotel has attracted the supernatural ever since it opened. But a new, dark power is rising, this time inside Janet herself. Her boyfriend Mick, a sexy dragon shapeshifter the Navajo call a Firewalker, know what terrifying magic is threatening to overwhelm Janet and her Stormwalker powers. He watches over her, ready to fight for her, to do anything to keep her safe.
But then a mysterious corpse is found near the Crossroads Hotel-and Janet becomes the main suspect. Now Janet and Mick must uncover what really happened, and their investigation leads to the most perilous decision of their lives...
Hi Allyson, thanks for being here today.
Thanks so much for asking me!
- How many hours a day do you spend writing?
I spend anywhere from two to eight hours writing. It depends on how energetic I am (or how tired), or how close I am to a deadline! I try to write at least 2000 words a day. Most days I manage 2000-4000.
- Do you listen to music while you write?
Yes. I love guitarists (Marc Antoine, Jeff Golub, to name a few). I have a loop of guitar music on my iPod that drowns out noise and lets me focus on the stories.
- If you could hang out with any of your characters, which one would you pick?
I’ve love to hang out with Janet and Mick (especially the hottie Mick). I also wouldn’t mind being with the Shifters in the Shifters series I write as Jennifer Ashley (Liam and Sean).
- How many books a year do you write on average?
I average 4 to 5 full-length books and a novella or two.
- What do you do when you need to disconnect?
I build dollhouse miniatures. I love getting into the miniature worlds and making everything exactly the way I want it. I love both big, beautiful dollhouses and tiny, whimsical settings. I’ve posted many of my minis here: http://www.jennifersromances.
- What are you working on right now?
I’m working on a couple of things: The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (Book 3 of the Mackenzie series—historical romance I write as Jennifer Ashley). Also Book 3 of the Shifters series, tentatively titled Wild Cat. After that it’s back to the Stormwalker series—I’ve just turned in Book 3 (Shadowwalker) and need to write Book 4. Many, many things!
- I love your dragon books. Any chances there are going to be more of them? (I really want to read Axel's story, even though I know he's not a dragon).
I love the dragon stories too. Right now, my publisher has me focused on the Stormwalker books, but the future may bring more dragons. (And Axel needs a happy ending, I agree!)
In Firewalker Mick must face a trial by a dragon tribunal for helping Janet in Book 1. We’ll meet some new characters: the witch Cassandra, who is Janet’s new hotel manager; a Changer wolf-woman named Pamela; Colby, a well-tattooed dragon shifter; and a couple other dragons, plus we’ll learn more about Mick. Janet’s grandmother, Jamison, Maya and Nash, the mirror, and Coyote will all return with prominent roles.
- Nash Jones is a very conflicted character. Is he going to change his attitude any time soon? How is his "relationship" with Maya going?
Nash is a complicated guy, and I really like him. As the series goes on, he learns to be more accepting of magic and what he is, and he and Janet start working better together. Maya and Nash are explosive!
- I loved Mick. I loved him even more when it was revealed he was a dragon. Are we going to learn more about them?
I reveal more and more about Mick as the series goes on. You learn more about his life in Firewalker, and still more in Book 3, Shadowwalker.
- So, we know that Mick sometimes disappeared. What exactly did he do? (Apart from giving information about Janet to the other dragons).
Spoiler Alert (for those who haven’t read Stormwalker): When Mick disappears, he reports to the dragons, but he also returns and watches over Janet. She doesn’t see him, but he follows her when he can, trying to keep her safe. When he’s not doing that, he’s checking out his own lair to make sure all is well.
- I have a soft spot for Janet's father. Are we going to see more of him in future books? Also, is there a HEA for him?
Pete Begay is such a sweet guy! Yes, we will see more of him, and yep a HEA is coming up for him, but I don’t want to give too much away!
- After the events of Stormwalker, does Janet have more powers than before or are her abilities the same that when she went "visit" her mother?
Janet’s powers continue to develop and grow throughout the series. She learns some serious stuff about herself.
- Are we going to learn how Janet's grandmother shapeshifted into a crow?
Janet’s grandmother will return in Firewalker and Shadowwalker, and you’ll learn much more about her (especially in Book 3, Shadowwalker).
- We know there are many different magical creatures in Janet's world. Are we going to learn more of them in the future?
Yes! There are Changers (shapeshifters), dragons of course, Nightwalkers (vampire-ish creatures), witches, powerful mages, and others. I reveal more about them in each book, and also in the novella “Double Hexed,” which will be in the Hexed anthology next June.
- Thanks again and good luck with your next book.
Thank you so much!!
You can also read my reviews of Stormwalker and Firewalker.
If you want to know more about the author you can check out her website.