20 September 2010

Review: The Mage in Black by Jaye Wells


Title: The Mage in Black
Author: Jaye Wells
Series: Sabina Kane #2
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Release Date: April 1, 2010
Publisher: Orbit
Edition: Paperback
Blurb:
Sabina Kane doesn't have the best track record when it comes to family. After all, her own grandmother, leader of the vampire race, wants her dead. So when she arrives in New York to meet her mage relatives, the reunion puts the fun in dysfunctional. Not only is mage culture completely bizarre, but everyone seems to think she's some kind of 'Chosen' who'll unite the dark races. Sabina doesn't care who chose her, she's not into destiny. But the mages aren't Sabina's only problem. In New York's Black Light District, she has run-ins with fighting demons, hostile werewolves and an opportunistic old flame. Sabina thought she'd take a bite out of the Big Apple - but it looks like it wants to bite back.


This book starts immediately after Red-Headed Stepchild. Sabina goes with Adam to New York to meet the mage council, her twin sister and to begin her magic training.
All through the book Sabina has to deal with major trust issues, and I don't blame her after almost everyone betraying her on the previous book. The problem was that I got tired of her being suspicious of everyone at all times, and the fact that Adam wasn't there with her didn't help matters.

There was a lot more action in this book although there were some scenes (especifically the one with Tiny) that didn't bring anything to the story and it seemed that were there only to add a little more action, and honestly, I could have done without them.
We get introduced to 2 new dark races: the werewolves and the fae. I found the werewolves to be very interesting and I really hope we see more of Michael, they're alpha and then there's the fae. We really only meet one, and we don't learn much on that encounter.

On the love side of the story, we get introduced to an old flame of Sabina's, Slade. It was funny seeing her trying to deal with her bottle up emotions and interact with him. He, alongside Giguhl (Sabina's demon familiar), give the book a lighter tone. He gives Adam a little competiton, but I think everyone who has read this books knows who's going to get the girl. We also finally meet Sabina's sister, and sometimes I liked her more than Sabina herself. She's definitely an interesting and important character and I love seeing develop the relationship between both sisters. Concerning Sabina's magic training, I found it to be one of my favourite parts of the book. You could really ser her deal not only with her magic, but also her emotions.

I definitely enjoyed this book, and personally I think it was better than Red-Headed stepchild. It has more action, more character development and at last we see the bad guys make a big move. I can't wait to read the third book after the cliffhanger the book left us in.


Memorable Lines:

I leaned forward, ready to tell Adam where he could shove his morality.
“Guys!” Giguhl shouted.
Adam and I spun around together and yelled. “What?”
“I’ve been shot in the ass!”

Previous Book:
1. Red-Headed Stepchild - Review

Next Book:
3. Green Eyed Demon (Mar 2011)

Rating:

2 comments:

Michelle Greathouse said...

Great review. This is one of my favorite series. :)

M

Christine said...

Thanks for the review! I also have the first book in this series waiting on my TBR. Looks like I should give it a try soon!