02 September 2010

Review: The Darkest Edge of Dawn by Kelly Gay


Title: The Darkest Edge of Dawn
Author: Kelly Gay
Series: Charlie Madigan #2
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Release Date: August 31, 2010
Publisher: Pocket Books
Edition: Paperback
Blurb:
It takes a strong woman to keep the peace in a city of endless night. . . .

Deep beneath Underground, a cunning bid for power and revenge has begun—one that threatens to make Atlanta the new battleground in the ultimate confrontation between good and evil. The powers of hellish Charbydon have the upper hand after plunging the city into primordial night. And under the cover of darkness, a serial killer targets the most powerful Elysians in the city, the angelic Adonai. For Detective Charlie Madigan and her siren partner Hank, tracking deadly predators is all in a day’s work . . . but this case will test the limits of their strength and friendship as it draws them into a deadly world of power plays, ancient myths, explosive secrets, and a race against time that risks all that Charlie holds dear.


I had really high expectations after reading the amazing previous book of this series, The Better Part of Darkness, and in some ways The Darkest Edge of Dawn didn't disappoint.
If there's something this book is not lacking is action. We are thrust from the first page into a full-blown investigation regarding a serial killer and how it may or may not connect with previous events that happened in the last book.Sometimes I felt like there was too much action. I wished Charlie could have had more down time (she couldn’t even take a shower without something happening around her) and that we could have seen more interaction with the rest of her family.

That’s not to say that we didn’t see them at all. We did get some amazing scenes with Emma, Charlie’s daughter, and it was really interesting seeing how the relationship between mother and daughter developed, especially when we find out some things about her.

As for Rex, the Revenant that’s possessing Charlie’s ex-husband, we do get some intense scenes with him and it was really funny seeing Charlie figuring out that she cares about Rex, at the same time that she’s trying to find a way to get her ex back, and then also some way for Rex to get a new body. Most of the time I felt sorry for him, and I really wish that the author finds some way to make him stay (at this point I like him better than Charlie’s ex).

There also is Bryn, Charlie’s sister, and while she does become an important character in this story, I wished we could have seen more of her, especially the parts that deal with her being addicted to ash.
Then there’s Hank. Since I finished reading the last book I was rooting for both of them to get together, and while we don’t get any resolution in this one, there are some very interesting developments in their relationship. Apart from that, he keeps being my favourite character and it was very interesting learning a little about his past.

The best parts of this book? Brim, the hellhound; Pendaran, the Druid King, the development of Charlie’s powers & the relationship dynamics between Hank and Charlie.

All in all, this was a great novel, with non-stop action, incredible character development and at the end it only makes you wish for the next one.



Memorable Lines:
"You have one week," Pendaran announced. "One week to find Daya's killer."
I blinked. "Excuse me?"
"Seven days or we seek retribution from the jinn."
A disbelieving half snort, half laugh sprang from my mouth.. "Seriously? Because I didn't peg you for an idiot."
The nymphs fled the courtyard in a blur of gossamer and bare feet, disappearing into the darkness and mist, and leaving me with the sudden realization I'd said that though out loud.
Shit.

Previous Book:
1. The Better Part of Darkness - Review

Next Book:
3. Untitled (Summer 2011)

Rating:

1/2


* I received this book from the publisher for review.

3 comments:

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

Great review! I have The Better Part of Darkness on my TBR pile! Can't wait to read that and this one!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Also participating in the September Spectacular Challenge I thought I'd stop by to say hello. Nice to have met you, I've enjoyed visiting.

Steph said...

Thanks for joining the September Spectacular. Great review!