23 May 2011

Review: Where She Went by Gayle Forman


Title: Where She Went
Author: Gayle Forman
Series: If I Stay #2
Genre: YA

Release Date: April 28, 2011
Publisher: Dobleday Childrens
Edition: Paperback
Source: Publisher
Blurb:
It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.

Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future–and each other.

Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.

* There are If I Stay (first book in the duology) spoilers in this review. *

At the end of the first book Mia, the protagonist, decided to live. This book is about what happened after she decided to stay and it's told from Adam's point of view.

At first I was disappointed that Adam and Mia didn't stay together but the author managed to convince me that it was the right thing to do for the characters.
There were some sad parts, especially seeing how alone, angry and broken Adam felt and some happy parts, that for me were when Mia tells how she managed to move on with her life.

There were some interesting points raised in the book. I think the most important one was how Adam wasn't "allowed" to grieve for Mia's family because technically he wasn't part of it.

I loved reading about Adam and his life three years after the accident as well as what Mia was up to after she left Adam. As in the first book, music plays an important part. There were parts of Adam's songs at the beginning of some chapters and they make you understand Adam better.

The author managed to make me hurt when the characters hurt and happy when they were happy. I was rooting for Adam and Mia to get back together somehow all through the novel.

This book is all about Adam and Mia, how they grew apart and how they found each other again. It didn't disappointed me one bit and for me it was the perfect ending for these two characters. I loved this book and both the first and this one are must reads.


Memorable Lines:
I slide into my seat and close my eyes, remembering the last time I went to a cello concert somewhere this fancy. Five years ago, on our first date. Just as I did that night, I feel this mad rush of anticipation, even though I know that unlike that night, tonight I won’t kiss her. Or touch her. Or even see her up close.

Tonight, I’ll listen. And that’ll be enough.

Previous Book:
1. If I Stay - Review

Rating:

3 comments:

Laurie-J said...

This sounds like a good series to read. Thanks for the thoughtful and insightful review. I found you through the Small Blogs Big Giveaway blog hop and am now a new follower.
Laurie
Laurie's Thoughts & Reviews

vvb32 reads said...

whoa, what an emotional read.

Rachel. said...

This was a beautiful book indeed (: