17 May 2011

Review: Dark Descendant by Jenna Black


Title: Dark Descendant
Author: Jenna Black
Series: Descendant #1
Genre: Urban Fantasy

Release Date: April 26, 2011
Publisher: Pocket
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Source: Bought
Blurb:
Nikki Glass can track down any man. But when her latest client turns out to be a true descendant of Hades, Nikki now discovers she can’t die. . . .

Crazy as it sounds, Nikki’s manhunting skills are literally god-given. She’s a living, breathing descendant of Artemis who has stepped right into a trap set by the children of the gods. Nikki’s new “friends” include a descendant of Eros, who uses sex as a weapon; a descendant of Loki, whose tricks are no laughing matter; and a half-mad descendant of Kali who thinks she’s a spy.

But most powerful of all are the Olympians, a rival clan of immortals seeking to destroy all Descendants who refuse to bow down to them. In the eternal battle of good god/bad god, Nikki would make a divine weapon. But if they think she’ll surrender without a fight, the gods must be crazy. . .

I love reading books that have mythology in them, especially greek mythology so I was really excited when I finally got this book in the mail.

Usually heroines in urban fantasy series are powerful, they know what they want and they go after it. Nikki is not that kind of heroine, which made me like her a lot. She has been forced into the dangerous and cruel world of the descendants of the gods and she's trying to survive the best she can. I liked that she was smart and especially that she wasn't naive. She didn't trust anyone for the most part of the book but she also wasn't afraid to show that she cared about what happened to the people around her (she calls herself a bleeding heart).

It was surprising that there really wasn't a love interest for Nikki and I really hope that gets explored in the next book.

The other descendants were interesting but I would have liked to get to know them better or at least see what kind of abilities they got (we only really get to see three descendants in action).

As for the worlbuilding, there wasn't much of it and the bits we get aren't really expanded. I liked the mythology but I would have prefered to learn more about both clans of descendants and why they became what they are.

Anyway, this was a very satisfying and entertaining read with a unique type of heroine and I really can't wait to read the next one.


Memorable Lines:
One moment, I was staring down the barrel of my gun trying to work up the nerve to pull the trigger, the next, I wanted to fling the gun to the ground and tear off my clothes. I had only an instant to realize what was happening before I was under his spell, but that was enough.

Desperation gave me the will I needed, and my finger squeezed the trigger.

Next Book:
2. Untitled (2012)


Rating:

6 comments:

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

Totally with you! I loooove Greek mythology as well and hadn't really read any books with Greek mythology in them until this year! Really liking the new trend!

Old Follower
Jessica@a GREAT read

Elishia said...

ohh sounds like a fun book. I love Greek Mythology, so i will be adding this one to my TBR

DangerousRomanceBookBlog said...

I'm joining the chorus. I really enjoy Greek Mythology as well. I am a bit concerned about a few of the things you mentioned as it sounds like this could have been deeper but it still sounds intriguing.
I especially love the cover. I liked how she was facing us and at least she uses a gun in the book.

I'm so tired of UF book covers of girls backs or from the side showing tattooes. I'm actually really frustrated with some of the covers in UF where they will take a character who NEVER holds a weapon or dresses provocatively and have her in a skimpy dress holding a gun.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oh I want this one too! :) I wonder if things will build more in the future books. It might have been one of those things that just didn't want to way down the book with. But sounds like it all would be great to learn more on. :) Thank you for the great review!

Marce said...

I am going to try this one because of the greek mythology, it is out of my norm but Jenna Black is an author that has intrigued me.

Anonymous said...

The fleshlight mens sex toy is so unique because it feels like to experience the reality of the present
yeast infection, because the closed environment, warmth and wetness make an ideal bacterial breeding ground.
Because of the unpopularity of the idea of
eliminating government entirely and the violent tactics
associated with Anarchist attempts to intimidate people from serving in government, the
number of links that point to a website.