08 November 2010

Review: Something Wicked by Michelle Rowen


Title: Something Wicked
Author: Michelle Rowen
Series: Living in Eden #2
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Release Date: October 5, 2010
Publisher: Berkley Sensation
Edition: Paperback
Blurb:
Every woman has a sexy demon inside her just waiting to get out, but for Eden Riley it’s a little different. Her inner demon is named Darrak, and he’s been inhabiting bodies for the past 300 years. In the daytime, thanks to her special psychic energy, he’s able to take physical shape—a shape she wouldn’t mind getting her hands on, if it wasn’t a threat to her immortal soul…

Because of her possession, Eden now has uncontrollable black magic at her fingertips, and she and Darrak are trying to end the curse that binds them before the situation gets any worse. To do it, they’ll have to get tangled up with some unsavory characters from the underworld. When sparks and spells fly, they could get the distance they need…or each have their own private hell to pay.

I was really looking forward to this book, especially since I loved The Demon In Me. Darrak and Eden continue their journey to free them from the possession and they meet some interesting new characters on their way.

First of all we have Theo, Darrak's "best friend". He's an archdemon and he is really evil. The funny thing is that even though I know he is evil I like him anyway, especially since he cares a great deal about Darrak and he will do all he can to free him from his curse, no matter what.
We also have Andy, Eden's PI friend and co-business partner. There were some developments on his storyline that I wasn't expecting, and it was so funny reading his final reaction to what happened to him. I can't wait to read how everything goes for him in the next book.

And then we have Ben. If you read my review of The Demon in Me you know that I didn't like him at all. Well, that hasn't changed in his book. He keeps trying to save Eden even though she tell him repeatedly that she doesn't want him to help. He is very narrow minded and the choices he made make him a very unlikeable character. Truth be told, I don't think I'll even change my mind about him.
My favourite character without a doubt was Lucifer. It was really interesting seeing his interactions with Eden and finding out what his deal was.

Darrak suffers a little from identity crisis and that makes him do some bad stuff but at the end it only brings him closer to Eden and makes them move forward in their relationship. Sometimes I just wanted these two to start talking to each other and make some things clear, but both of them are very stubborn and don't say anything at all. While there wasn't much worldbuilding, this series doesn't really need it.

All in all, this was a great follow up to The Demon In Me that solves some issues but that mostly rises up a lot of questions and reveals long kept secrets in the characters lives, but the truth is that
I liked the previous book more. This is a light and funny paranormal romance that I enjoyed from start to finish. Now I can't wait to get my hands on the last book of the trilogy.


Memorable Lines:

“I’ll give you a call tomorrow, Eden. Promise,” Graham said before moving off into the crowd, which seemed to swallow him whole in a scattering of light and mingling bodies.
“I hate that guy,” Darrak said. “Loathe him. And I can’t believe you let him kiss you. I almost made you slap him, but luckily for him he didn’t try to slip you the tongue. It’s obvious to me that he’s only after one thing from you and –”
“He’s gay,” Eden said simply.
“Oh.” There was a pause. “I totally knew that.”

Previous Book:
1. The Demon in Me - Review

Next Book:
3. That Old Black Magic (TBD)

Rating:


* I received a copy of this book from the publisher for review.

0 comments: