12 February 2011

Review: Seduce the Darkness by Gena Showalter


Title: Seduce the Darkness
Author: Gena Showalter
Series: Alien Huntress #4
Genre: Paranormal Romance

Release Date: July 28, 2009
Publisher: Pocket Star
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Source: Bought
Blurb:

The war between otherworlders and humans changed Earth beyond recognition. It also saved Bride McKells's life. Before, the gorgeous vampire was a target for every fanatic with a stake and a crucifix. Now, she's free to roam the streets -- and desperate to find others of her kind. One man claims to have the answers she seeks. Devyn, King of the Targons, is a warrior and a womanizer, and he makes no secret of how much he wants Bride -- and how dangerous he could be to her in every way.

An avid collector of women, Devyn easily seduces human and otherworlder alike. Until now. Not only does Bride resist him, but she leaves Devyn feeling something entirely new...a bone-deep need bordering on obsession. Her blood is the key to curing a vicious alien disease, but helping Bride uncover her origins will compel her to choose between electrifying passion and a destiny that could tear her from Devyn's side forever.

This is the fourth Alien Huntress book and it's the one I liked the least. We have Devyn, the king of his planet, a ruthless killer and a
man slut. He sleeps with different women at least once a day and he never "repeats" with the same alien race (which tells me that there has to be at least thousands of alien races on earth). I like reading about how this type of men find their perfect match. The problem is, while at the beginning I really liked Bride, the heroine, as the story advanced she changed so much that at some points I couldn't neither stand nor understand her.

At first Bride comes across as shy, with an air of innocence but very determined to find the only person in the world she loves. That's what made me like Bride so much. I guess I just didn't like how Devyn manipulated Bride even when he got what he wanted and then how she didn't even fight much at all. To tell the truth, those parts pissed me off. After that Bride changed and she became a seducer; confident and ultimately very powerful. I just couldn't understand how she changed so much. I will say that I liked that she wasn't as tough as previous heroines of this series.

As for the plot, the alien virus is still around and I would have liked variety on that front. The book also explores the vampire race, which was very interesting, especially since we're introduced to McKell. This was a good adition to the series but I liked the other ones better. I guess I just didn't like much the main couple and how their romance evolved.

Memorable Lines:
“I only answer questions when the one doing the asking is naked, and as we won’t be getting naked anytime soon . . .” Another of those disappointed sighs. “If I wasn’t in a hurry, you might have been able to make me forget I prefer variety. As it is, I’m late and have to go. But do dream of me, darling.”
That dirty, rotten bastard! How dare he! “Leave, and I’ll come after you. I swear I will.”
“Won’t do you any good, I’m afraid.” And with that, he disappeared amidst the churning crowd.
Bride was unable to follow and all the madder for it. He’s going down, she thought darkly. In every possible way.

Previous Books:
1. Awaken Me Darkly
2. Enslave Me Sweetly
3. Savor Me Slowly - Review

Next Books:
5. Ecstasy in Darkness
6. Dark Taste of Rapture (August 2011)

Rating:

0 comments: