26 January 2011

Review: Visions of Magic by Regan Hastings


Title: Visions of Magic
Author: Regan Hastings
Series: The Awakening #1
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Release Date: February 1, 2011
Publisher: Signet Eclipse
Edition: Mass Market Paparback
Source: Publisher
Blurb:

In the ten years since magic has reemerged in the world, witches have become feared and hunted. For weeks Shea Jameson has been haunted by visions of fire. When she unintentionally performs a spell in public, she becomes one of the hunted. Her only hope is Torin, a dangerously sensual man who claims to be her eternal mate.

After reading the blurb I couldn't wait to get my hands into this book, but after reading a few pages I knew I wasn't going to like the novel much.
The worldbuilding is really good, witches are awakening and the world is afraid of them, to the point of incarcerating them, burning them and in some cases experiment on them, and they do that without having hard evidence that you're a witch.

* Minor spoilers, I don't give away anything important *

The world doesn't look pretty for people with unexplained abilities, so it should be obvious that witches have to be careful. Well, I can tell you that Shea, the main character, makes so many stupid mistakes that there were times I wanted to throw the book against a wall. She runs away from Torin, the hero, without even asking any questions about what's going on, and when she goes around to ask them, she doesn't believe anything the hero says, she doesn't even acknowledge that she's a witch even after using her abilities. Also in one part of the book, after having been attacked and almost killed, they discover she has a tracking chip. Do they take it out? No, of course not. They decide to have sex instead. And then they are attacked, again. At this point I didn't really want to read anymore because both of them were too stupid to live.

There was some mystery, that wasn't a mystery at all because if you haven't figure out who the bad guy is at the middle of the book, you're told anyway. As for the romance, I really didn't like it either. This wasn't a book were the main characters get to know each other, is one were the heroine has to remember her past life and remember the love they had together. I didn't like that, because it seemed to me like to hero was in love with a woman that had her soul in the past and not with Shea herself, but the point isn't even raised in the book.

Would I recommend this book? No. Will I read the next one? Maybe, the overall plot is a good one so there is a chance I may enjoy the next book.


Next Book:
2. Visions of Skyfire (October 2011)

Rating:

0 comments: