26 October 2010

Review: The Darkest Hour by Maya Banks


Title: The Darkest Hour
Author: Maya Banks
Series: KGI #1
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Release Date: September 7, 2010
Publisher: Berkley Sensation
Edition: Paperback
Blurb:
It’s been one year since ex-Navy SEAL Ethan Kelly last saw his wife Rachel alive. Overwhelmed by grief and guilt over his failures as a husband, Ethan shuts himself off from everything and everyone.

His brothers have tried to bring Ethan into the KGI fold, tried to break through the barriers he’s built around himself, but Ethan refuses to respond …until he receives an anonymous phone call claiming Rachel is alive.

To save her, Ethan will have to dodge bullets, cross a jungle, and risk falling captive to a deadly drug cartel that threatens his own demise. And even if he succeeds, he’ll have to force Rachel to recover memories she can’t and doesn’t want to relive—the minute by minute terror of her darkest hour—for their love, and their lives, may depend on it.

This is the first book I've read by this author and I thoroughly enjoy it. I was a little hesitant when I started reading because I usually don't like the "lost memory" plot point, but it worked perfectly in this story. Rachel is a very strong character and after everything she's been through she doesn't give up and keeps fighting to get her life back. We know that Rachel was drugged and became addicted but I was hoping the book explored more her battle against it instead of only getting some brief mentions about it.

I found Ethan to be too good to be true. I know that this is only a book, but personally I prefer heroes that aren't perfect. He did make some mistakes in the past regarding Rachel, but it seems like he's a completely different man since she was kidnapped. That said, I loved seeing him and Rachel reconnecting and trying to get to know one another once again. That was the best part of the book. As for the suspense, I don't think there was much of it. There were a few questions that needeed answering like why was Rachel kidnapped and what kind of consequences they were facing since they rescued her, but all of it was solved without much mystery.

As for the rest of Ethan's family, they were an interesting bunch of people, but I wished the book wouldn't have shown us so much about the runaway Rusty and her relationship with Ethan's parents. Truth is I didn't like her much.
I know this has nothing to do with the story, but I found that the size of the words were a little too small for me. I really hope that they make them bigger for the next book of the series.

This was a great romance with some touches of suspense that keep your eyes glued to the pages. I can't wait to read about the adventures of the next Kelly brother.


Memorable Lines:
“Rachel,” he said soothingly. “Honey, I’m here to help you. It’s time for you to go back home. To the people who love you. Your family.”
Her heart seized. Family? She couldn’t remember a family. All she could remember was Ethan, and even those images were vague. When had she forgotten? All she could remember was endless pain and fear. The haziness brought on by injections thrust upon her and the crawling need when they waited too long to give her another dose.

Next Book:
2. No Place To Run (December 7, 2010)
3. Hidden Away (March 1, 2011)


Rating:



* I received a copy of this book from the publisher for review.

0 comments: